Meet Our Doctors
Meet Dr. Thomas “Tim” Taylor, D.M.D., M.S.
Music Maker, Scientist and Expert Orthodontist
Sometimes you just know.
Affectionately called “Tim’ by all of his friends, family and patients, Dr. Taylor just knew that he wanted to be an orthodontist early in life. So much so that while still in his undergraduate program at the University of Pittsburgh, he began conducting scientific orthodontic research with the Chairman of the Orthodontic Department at the Pitt Dental School – something unheard of then and now. He has since presented more than 10 different scientific research articles, quite a feat for any doctor in private care practice.
As a kid growing up in Latrobe, Pennsylvania, Tim Taylor was a baseball player, fan and devotee of the game. His whole family is filled with baseball players including collegiate athletes and professionals.
His grandfather worked as a volunteer commissioner for 45 years at Latrobe Little League, raising money and ensuring that all children had a chance to play no matter what their families could afford.
His parents, Thomas and Peggy, helped future Dr. Taylor travel all over the country playing the game he loves while helping his Grandfather raise money and manage Latrobe Little League.
His mother Peggy is full of personality and would do anything to help her friends, family and community. His dad is known as a Mr. Fix-it, was also a computer programmer and designer of software. The apple doesn’t fall far from the tree!
Dr. Tim learned to love cooking from his grandmother while spending many a summer at his grandparents’ house preparing meals for the extended family. He has become quite the chef, able to cook most anything including Thanksgiving dinner!
Music making in the Taylor house is the norm. Dr. Taylor has long played his guitar alongside his father on the mandolin making country music Willie Nelson style. Thus far, they have recorded three CD’s and also play professionally on stage at local festivals. Around the office, the good Doctor is well known to play and sing on special occasions, such as getting your braces off when the work is done!
When asked why he wanted to be an orthodontist, Dr. Tim’s passionate answer was near instant. “I wanted to be able to help people, to give people beautiful smiles that would enrich their health and well-being. Orthodontics is about so much more than just straight teeth. It is about helping to create beautiful symmetrical faces, jaw joints that are comfortable and pain-free, airways that get oxygen to the organs and the right bite that helps preserve the teeth and gums for a lifetime.”
He has contributed to over twenty-five local, regional and state charities and causes.
Here are eleven of these causes, a number of which he created to help others less fortunate to have better lives. The full list can be found our Causes and Contributions page.
- Smile for Christmas Essay Contest: 2015- Present
- Dr Taylor and SuffolkBraces.com created an essay contest where children ages 12-18 write a 500 word essay on how a new smile would change their life and brighten their Christmas. Applicants have some other factor in their life that would otherwise prevent their families from financially being able to seek orthodontic care. To date they have given away 7 sets of braces for children in need valued at more than $50,000.00
- YMCA Healthy Kids Days: 2013- Present
- In an effort to continue to support local Suffolk charities in need, Dr Taylor and Suffolk Braces provide tooth-brushing seminars and dental care kits with toothbrushes, toothpaste and floss for about 500 YMCA families.
- Bennett’s Creek Little League Sponsor: 2013- Present
- Dr Taylor and his team financially support ongoing efforts to modernize their facilities.
- Oasis Ministry Sponsor: 2013- Present
- In addition to supporting their annual food drives for Thanksgiving and Christmas, Dr Taylor and his team also support their 5k run and other charitable needs throughout the year.
- Suffolk Humane Society Sponsor: 2015 – Present
- Having 3 Red Boston Terriers of their own, his fiancé Amy and Dr Taylor sponsor their Annual Mutt Strut Event, which raises money and awareness for finding homes for pets.
- Bon Secours Colon Cancer 5K Sponsor: 2013-Present
- Dr Taylor and his team at SuffolkBraces.com sponsor the 5K event, which is held near their office.
- Children’s Hospital of The Kings Daughters Charity Golf Sponsor: 2015- Present
- We sponsor CHKD Free Care Fund for children
- Z104 “Stuff the Bus”: 2013- 2015
- The Drs. and team donate toys for children at Christmas time by stuffing as many toys onto school buses as possible.
- Taylor Orthodontics Annual Toy Drive: 2013- Present
- They collect toys for Christmas in their office to donate to local charities
- Taylor Orthodontics Annual Food Drive: 2013- Present
- Dr Taylor and his team also collect food for Thanksgiving to donate to local charities
- Suffolk Public Schools Career Days: 2013- Present
- Dr Taylor teaches tooth-brushing seminars and donate toothbrushes, toothpaste and floss.
Helping others is simply in his DNA.
His orthodontic practice helps him live his personal value of contributing to others by his services to his patients and his generous donations of his time and money to so many worth causes right here in Suffolk and Tidewater/Hampton Roads
As for his orthodontic work, Dr Taylor had this to say about the real value of his brand of orthodontics:
Our patients get a new self-confidence. For many it gives them a transformation that really is immeasurable because it changes their lives forever..Dr. Tim Taylor
Becoming An Orthodontist
Dr. Taylor completed his orthodontic residency in 33 months at The Ohio State University, and while he loves being a “Buckeye,” both he and fellow Pitt graduate father are Panther fans through and through.
In addition to receiving his Orthodontic Certificate, Dr. Taylor also earned a Master’s of Science Degree from Ohio State for completing his Orthodontic Thesis Research.
After graduation, Dr. Taylor earned his American Board of Orthodontics Certification, an honor less than one-third of orthodontists ever achieve.
He has since gone on to receive his FACE Certificate for orthodontic excellence. FACE (Functional and Cosmetic Excellence) is the only multi-year international post- graduate study program in the world for orthodontists.
To this day, he regularly meets with the very best FACE colleagues in dentistry and other specialties from around the globe so he can bring you the world-class care you deserve.
Dr. Taylor practices and lives in right here Suffolk, Virginia. He is heavily involved in contributing and making a difference for the residents who live here, just like his family has always done.
Meet Dr. Steven P. Hearne, D.D.S.
Dr. Steven Hearne grew up in Hampton, Virginia where he graduated from Hampton High School. He then attended Old Dominion University in Norfolk, Virginia prior to receiving his Doctorate of Dental Surgery and Certificate in Orthodontics from the Medical College of Virginia in 1986. From 1986 to 1989, Dr. Hearne was a full-time professor and faculty member at the Medical College of Virginia, Department of Orthodontics. During this time he was also co-director of the Richmond Children’s Hospital Facial Deformities Clinic and a member of the MCV Cleft Lip and Palate team.
In order to keep current with the latest and most advanced technology in orthodontics, Dr. Hearne continually updates his education through his involvement with the Tidewater Orthodontic Study Club, the Portsmouth/Suffolk Dental Study Club, and the Eastern Virginia Orthodontic Study Club. He is also an active member of numerous professional organizations, including:
- Diplomate, American Board of Orthodontics
- American Dental Association
- American Association of Orthodontics
- Southern Association of Orthodontics
- Virginia Association of Dentistry
- Virginia Association of Orthodontics
- MCV Orthodontic Education and Research Foundation
- Tidewater Dental Association
A great sociable and professional staff. I’ve been able to make friends with most of the staff, including Dr. Taylor. I had a great experience along with a new great smile to show off, all thanks to my years at Smile Orthodontics.Tyler S.
Outside the Office
When Dr. Hearne isn’t creating beautiful smiles, he enjoys spending time with his wife, Sandy, playing golf and tennis, surfing, and working out at the YMCA. Dr. Hearne is active in his community and is a proud member of the Kingsboro Bowman Archery Club, a past member of the Suffolk Jaycees, and a current member the Suffolk Ruritan Club where he served as the Shrimp Feast Chairman.
My teeth are perfect thanks to Dr. Taylor!Tayler P.Meet the Team