Is Invisalign® Right for You?
Do you desire straight teeth, but you hate the idea of wearing metal braces? Invisalign could be the solution for you. Rather than straightening the teeth with brackets, bands, and wires, the Invisalign system moves the teeth with gentle pressure using a series of removable, plastic trays. At Smile Orthodontics, many of our adult patients choose Invisalign because the trays are virtually invisible. You can straighten your teeth without anyone noticing you are undergoing orthodontic treatment.
How Does Invisalign Work?
To straighten your teeth with Invisalign, you simply wear your trays at least 22 hours every day. They must not be removed, except to eat, drink, brush, and floss. Approximately every two weeks, you will change out your current set of aligners for the next set in the series. The subtle differences in the trays will gently guide your teeth into their desired positions over time.
During your treatment, you will visit our office about every six weeks so our doctors can check your progress. Your total treatment time will vary according to your specific needs.
The Invisalign Treatment Process
Once you have decided to pursue your new smile, we hope you will choose Smile Orthodontics. With the Invisalign system, here is the process you can expect at our practice:
- First consultation: During your initial appointment, your doctor will evaluate the health of your teeth and gums and design your personalized treatment timeline.
- Impressions: So that the Invisalign lab can craft your new trays, we will take impressions of your teeth.
- Delivery of trays: When your custom aligners arrive, your first set will be tried in, and you will be able to start treatment right away.
- Active treatment: You will continue to wear your trays as directed. Your doctor will monitor your progress, and will inform you when to change out your current aligners for the next set.
- Maintenance: Once you have completed treatment, you will wear a retainer to preserve your new smile and prevent shifting.
Benefits of Invisalign
The Invisalign system is one of the most significant innovations in dentistry. Every year, thousands of patients experience the benefits of this revolutionary treatment. When you choose Invisalign, you can enjoy:
- Improved aesthetics: Because Invisalign is virtually invisible, this system is the preferred aesthetic choice for many patients.
- Convenience: Invisalign trays can be removed for special occasions or photo ops, such as weddings, graduations, and more.
- Brushing and flossing with ease: There are no brackets and wires to clean around, so brushing and flossing is a breeze.
- Comfort: Invisalign trays are 100 percent plastic. Without metal getting in your way, lip and cheek irritation is not likely.
- No dietary restrictions: The custom trays can be removed when eating. Therefore, there are zero dietary restrictions. You can eat the foods you love while undergoing treatment!
- Comparable treatment time: Although Invisalign differs from traditional braces in many ways, the average treatment time is about the same. Timelines can vary depending on the severity of your case.
- Comparable cost: Many people assume that Invisalign is much more expensive than braces. Although fees can vary depending on your need, the cost of Invisalign is typically comparable to traditional orthodontic treatment.
Are There Disadvantages to Invisalign?
There are pros and cons to any treatment option. When choosing a solution that is right for you, it is important to understand the disadvantages as well as the benefits. Invisalign is an excellent option for straightening teeth. However, this system does not address issues of health or function. Therefore, Invisalign is not recommended for severe cases of malocclusion.
Furthermore, you may require additional components to supplement your progress. In some cases, small buttons are bonded to the teeth to encourage quicker movement. While these attachments are tooth-colored, they may be visible to other people.
Contact Our Office Today
If you would like to find out if Invisalign is a feasible treatment option for you, schedule a consultation at one of our Suffolk, VA office locations. You can contact us online, or call one of our two office locations.