Invest in Long-Term Oral Health with Teen Orthodontics
Teenage life is busy! Between school and extracurricular activities, there isn’t much time left for anything else. Many teens are hesitant about orthodontic treatment. But thanks to advancements in our field, wearing braces has never been easier. At Smile Orthodontics, most of us have been there. We remember what it was like to wear braces and go to our appointments. We also remember how amazing it was when our braces came off, and we saw our new smile for the first time. Teen orthodontics at our practice is personalized on a case-by-case basis, so we can deliver the smile you desire in a way that fits your schedule.
Teen Orthodontic Treatment Options
At Smile Orthodontics, we offer a range of treatments to suit your needs. The types of braces we offer include:
- Traditional metal braces: Made from surgical steel wires, bands, and brackets, metal braces are probably what you imagine when you think of orthodontic treatment. Conventional braces are a tried-and-true treatment option, and have been around for decades. Today’s modern design is much more sleek and comfortable than the older alternatives. To showcase your individuality and style, you can even choose colorful elastics.
- Ceramic braces: Many teens want their braces to be less noticeable. If this is your goal, ceramic braces may be an excellent option. From a functional standpoint, ceramic braces work the same as traditional metal braces. However, the brackets are made from porcelain or ceramic, and the wires are tooth-colored so they blend in better with your smile. Ceramic braces are more fragile and delicate than their metal counterparts. Therefore, you may need to replace brackets more often.
- Invisalign® Teen: For those who don’t want others to notice their braces at all, Invisalign Teen is a popular choice. Designed in the same way as the standard Invisalign system, this method straightens your teeth using a series of clear plastic trays. This system requires no dietary or oral hygiene challenges, as the trays can be removed to eat, drink, brush, and floss. It is important to note that Invisalign is not for everyone. More complex cases may require traditional orthodontics for optimal results. Our doctors can help you determine which option is best for you.
I’ve had Invisalign Teen for just over two weeks now, and I’ve already noticed a difference in the straightness of my teeth.
It looks great. I mean they really are invisible. So you can’t even tell. You can go about their daily life and not worry about how they look.
Your Personalized Timeline
“How long will my treatment last?” This is a common question, and understandably so! On average, orthodontic treatment takes about 18 to 24 months. However, your treatment timeline will be based exclusively on your specific and unique needs. During your initial consultation, we can give you an idea of how long it will take to achieve your desired results.
While you are wearing braces, you will have a few food restrictions, although we will try not to slow you down too much. Following a few guidelines will keep your oral appliances safe and protected. During your treatment, you should avoid:
- Hard foods: nuts, candy
- Crunchy foods: chips, popcorn, ice
- Sticky foods: taffy, caramel, gum
- Chewy foods: bagels, hard bread
- Foods you have to bite into: corn on the cob, apples, carrots
- Negative habits: chewing on fingernails, pens, or pencils
Contact Our Office to Learn More
Today, undergoing teen orthodontics is easier than ever. By being proactive with your treatment, you can achieve optimal aesthetics, function, and health for many years to come. If you think you may need braces, schedule a consultation with one of our doctors. You can call our Suffolk, VA practice, or contact us online anytime.